-Damping Materials Comments-

Name: Tony
Message: What's your preferred product to decouple on wall speakers from the wall?

I want to a) minimize bass transfer through walls and b) clear up the midrange sound.

Speakers are the Legacy Audio Silhouette.

Thank you. ☺

Webmaster's reply: dBNeutralizer material. Either sheet material cut to your own dimensions, Big Fat Dots, Square Fat Dots, or for adhesive option, Sticky Fat Dots.
Name: Stephen Mollner
Message: What is the best way to reduce vibration between the steel rails holding my electrostatic panels, and the transmission line bass cabinet to which the rails are attached with bolts? The entire speaker weighs 90 lbs.

Webmaster's reply: The best way is a two-step approach. First, is to reduce cabinet vibration by addressing the bass cabinet-to-floor interface with a dBNeutralizer product such as Giant Fat Gliders or Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders. Secondly, place Square Fat Dots or Big Fat Dots between the cabinet and rails (or, dBNeutralizer Sheet material can be used to achieve customized shapes); tighten the bolts only snugly, not too tight (if the electrostatic panel design allows for it, use only the dBNeutralizer as a decoupling interface without attaching with bolts).
Name: Kris
Message: What size and color would you recommend for use between the headshell and cart?

Webmaster's reply: Most of our customers use regular thin grungebuster material (off-white) between headshell and cartridge with excellent results. Scroll up the page just a little to see our "Headshell Special" for just $1.89.
Name: Franco
Message: What can I use for the windows?

Webmaster's reply: Some of our customers use grungebuster Dots or Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots on window panes to tame vibrational issues. (For room acoustic treatment, curtains, blinds, etc. can be appropriate.)
Name: Mike
Message: Steve,

I picked up an older steel rack with wheels. The wheels are the split type(2 wheels housed in the locking roller instead on one). Since I have 2 thin wheels, would damping sheets under the wheels work for me?


Webmaster's reply: Yes, Mike. dBNeutralizer damping sheet is appropriate for this application, or "Thin" Fat Dots which are the same dBNeutralizer material.
Name: Diógenes
Message: Hi Steve.
I know tenderfeet work better directly under components. But, what about grungebuster dots under the feet of my cambridge audio cd player and amplifier?
Will they work fine? Is it worth it?

Webmaster's reply: Depending on synergies involved with the vibrational environment, grungebuster Dots under the stock feet might be beneficial, or maybe not. Placing compliant material under the stock feet somewhat unconstrains the footer, allowing the footer material more freedom to resonate and reverberate, which is especially a problem with stock rubber feet. You'd likely get some decoupling benefit at the cost of sonic linearity. Using Tenderfoot isolation feet instead will provide a superior decoupling and much better control of the component's internally generated vibrations which is a major cause of a lot of the grunge and glare in audio. Though using Dots may be worth an audition if you have some to experiment with, four Tenderfoot isolation feet under each component, in direct contact with the component chassis, is the way to go if you want to bring out more of the best inherent potential of your gear.
Name: Hamil
Message: These products work a lot better than Blu-Tac and isonodes. i have Dots under platforms and shelfs and under desktop speakers.


Please post a comment, suggestion, or just say hi!



[ smilies ] [ custom formatting ]

Copyright © , Herbie's Audio Lab